Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I have a bright idea

Today as I sat knitting on a pair of Cookie A socks, listening to the Electric Sheep podcast and I had a passing thought: I should write a blog about how I learned to knit socks. I should write a blog to encourage other knitters to branch out into the unknown, to try something new. I should write a blog about all my failures and successes so other knitters will keep trying. I don't want to teach them to knit necessarily  but I can show them the tricks that have helped me. I want to encourage them.


And then I thought, nah. No one would read it, and I would probably stop writing after a month, just like every other blog I've had.

But then I thought about all that I've learned about knitting socks in the last year. I thought about my very first horrible, ugly, HUGE sock. I thought about the ugly one after that, and the first one that fit, and the second one, and my first stint with cables -- and I realized, I have a lot to talk about. I could start at sock number one and work my way through to sock number 14 which is on the needles right now. They haven't all turned out and a few have been frogged all together. But I learned something from each sock, something that led me to the next sock. I had instruction from books and the internet, and encouragement came from bloggers and podcasters: I began to believed I could crack socks.

I thought about this most of the day, and then, driving home from work I was listening to the Knitmore Girls podcast and their "Mother Knows Best" segment was about where to start to learn to knit socks. And I decided: I would write a blog and maybe it wouldn't help anyone or maybe, just maybe, it would help everyone.

So here's to big dreams of apple pie in the sky.

This blog will be focused solely (haha, I'm so punny) on sock knitting. I love to knit and I knit lots of things besides socks, but I'm not going to talk about other projects here. I might link to my Ravelry page once in awhile, but we'll see. I will go back through all of the socks I've already knit until I catch up with the ones I'm knitting. I will also do some book reviews on a couple of sock pattern books I love and any other ones I come across. I'm also planning on a weekly feature to highlight some fun sock patterns on Ravelry that you may or may not have come across. I'll link to tutorials and videos that helped me.

Feel free to ask me any questions! I don't have all the answers about sock knitting, I've only been knitting socks since last January, but I can point you in the right direction or offer encouragement.

It's going to take me a little while to get the hang of this, but I know we will have a fun journey together. (And if you are wondering about the crazy name of the blog, it's a play on words from an episode of the TV show Archer, Season 1 Ep 8. It just came to me, and I went with it. I'm a nerd.)









No comments:

Post a Comment